Monday, October 20, 2008

Why Running Is Awesome

The marathon is only a few days away. But at this point I'm really just looking forward to Monday morning. (I've told a few too many people I'm going for the BQ to not be completely terrified, so I try not to think too much about it.)

Monday morning, on the other hand, I have my first appointment with a guy who specializes in something called active release technique, which I'm pretty sure is going to change my life. I've had pain in my left leg for, ahem, more than a year now, and this guy knows what's wrong and how to fix it. I'm excited about that, though at this point the numbness that keeps me from sitting in my chair has become like an old friend, and I'm kind of going to miss it.

But I've also recently started suffering from pretty debilitating headaches that start in my neck, so I'm not going to miss those.

To make sure that I get my money's worth out of this guy, however, I made a list of problems that I've had this training season. So without further ado, here is my list of pain or, as I like to think of it, my list of things that make running so great:

Numbness, pain in my upper left hamstring and glute that makes it difficult to sit
Tightness and pain in my "haunches"
Occasional back pain that takes my breath away/prevents me from moving
IT band pain (both legs)
Calf tightness (both legs)
Left ankle and foot pain
Stiff neck that results in intense headaches

I think that about does it. I know it sounds like a lot, but hey, that which doesn't kill me and all that. Plus, I'm able to keep running through it all, so I'd say I'm still doing pretty good.

Wish me luck! (for Sunday and Monday)

2 comments:

Katie said...

I'll wait until after your race to tell you about my experience with leg numbness that made sitting uncomfortable. Boston, here you come!!!

Lizard said...

In the meantime you could tell me about your jobby job.