Saturday, January 31, 2009

So, Marathons

I just registered for the San Diego Marathon. It's on May 31, so training officially starts tomorrow, which means that I will no longer be able to talk myself into missing Friday morning tempo runs. (Though in the winter, it's always cold, so it doesn't matter if you run at night or in the morning, unlike in the summer when I had to run in the a.m. So maybe I can keep skipping...)

Anyway, yay, marathons. I'd like to PR for this one, but I have to let the Boston obsession rest. Of course that's just a ploy to trick myself into actually running a BQ. I'm definitely excited for the trip and for losing my holiday weight, so that's some motivation. And I think I finally figured out why my hips hurt so badly--they never move laterally anymore. So I'm going to work on that and get more massages this time around and everything will be great.

The only bummer about this race is that it's a Rock 'n' Roll race, and they've given me cotton t-shirts at the last two I've done despite their $$$ entry fees. I'm pretty sure this one has a technical tee, otherwise I wouldn't have done it.

Here is my tentative 2009-10 marathon schedule.
May 2009 - San Diego
November 2009 - New York or Philadelphia
May 2010 - Ottawa

I love Ottawa. Kate and I were supposed to run a marathon there after I did my first one, but that didn't pan out. I think because she decided to move to France or something like that. I really debated between Ottawa and San Diego this year, but my friend is moving to SD, so I went with the free place to stay.

2 comments:

Jacqui said...

We MUST run this half next year:

02-7-2009 6:00 AM
Run for the Whales
Run for the WhalesRunners and walkers are invited to join in the popular Run for the Whales along the scenic coast of South Maui, from Wailea to Makena. You can choose from a 5K walk, a 5K fun run or a half marathon run...plus a 2K children's race! Participants receive a free race t-shirt, a free post-race breakfast, and free professional timing (for the 5K and half marathon). There are medals for the top finishers and great prize giveaways. The entry fee is $35 for the half marathon, $25 for the 5K and $20 for the 2K. Day-of-event registration is available. Fees benefit marine education programs for Maui schoolchildren. Meet at the Polo Beach lot in Wailea (next to Fairmont Kea Lani). To register, visit www.active.com, www.greatmauiwhalefestival.org, or call 1-808-249-8811 ext. 1. Part of the Maui Whale Festival.

Lizard said...

YES!!!!