Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Exit Polls!

Come on, already! Close, Virginia! I can't take it anymore!

Wes and I are trying to make plans to watch the returns in the District. I didn't think I'd be up for anything (I rarely am) but I'm so agitated, I could stay up for days. I was awake at 6 just because I knew I could be voting. (I went at 8:15, took about 45 minutes.)

So Wes is coming to meet me downtown, because my co-worker and I decided that D.C. was definitely the place to be. I want to be in on the celebration/riots, no matter what happens.

The best part of this whole thing though? My "I Voted" sticker. It says "Presidential Election 2008," so I have a souvenir of my participation in possibly the most historic election since the original George W. (That's Washington.)

To borrow a phrase, for the first time in my adult life, I'm proud of my country, proud of the fact that we're open to a broader idea of power, one that goes beyond the traditional white male figurehead. I think it's wonderful to see a government that is more reflective of its electorate. It's been 143 years since people other than white men could vote. It's about damn time we had something to show for it.

No comments: