Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Southwestern Motifs Kinda Make Me Barf

The second in a series of things that make me throw up a little bit in my mouth: "artistic" interpretations of Southwestern U.S. culture! (Though I guess we could also add boring, tired female stereotypes to this list. My bad.)

Now this is a little bit of a confession for me, as SP is totally into the Western thing. One time we were out shopping, and he asked what I thought of a shirt, and I said it was fine, except for those weird western shoulder things (apparently western yokes?) . And he was like, "All my shirts have those." Oops. He's right too, I must have just overlooked it when I was looking deep into his soul and finding my future or something like that.

Anyway, Southwestern stuff is fugly. But my latest issue of Crochet Today arrived today, and there appears to be some sort of Southwestern theme going on with this issue. I guess that's a little bit of a confession as well. Not only do I love to crochet, I subscribe to a magazine about it. It's super relaxing and satisfying, and it helped me recover from a rugby hand injury when I picked it back up a few years ago. But I actually hate yarn and can't afford silk, so I spend most of my time crocheting stuff for other people--mostly hats for SP who apparently has a thing for kind of ugly/yet artistic things that I don't appreciate.

Once, when volunteering at a homeless shelter I got into a big argument with one of the residents about whether or not I was a feminist. She hates feminists, because they hate men, but thinks men and women should be equal, just that men should be in charge. When she caught me crocheting she gave me a little wink and said, "You're not a feminist." And that was the end of that.

So what's my point? I guess I don't have one. Except that I won't be making a prairie poncho anytime soon. But that I did make these sweet hats:

And I promise to update with a picture of the prairie poncho as soon as CT updates its site.

I like the Southwest itself too. It's just that style... this post'll be better once the patterns are up. Also, Luskey's western wear? I totally interviewed for a political job with the heir to that empire.

Update: Here it is. I told you it would make you barf.

2 comments:

AC Gaughen said...

Oh, it's just terrible when the fugly southwest won't leave you alone...

Loving the blog! Consider yourself added to mine!

xAnnie

Katie said...

Haha, Wes shirts DO all have that southwestern thing on the shoulders.